November 20, 2015
Dear St Joseph parishioners,
“so then, you a king?” Pilate and Jesus joust but it is Pilate who's mistaken. He thinks Jesus is on trial. It is Pilate. Jesus is a king, but not like King Philip of Spain or Queen Elizabeth of England. These monarchs are so limited they are mostly tourist attractions. Nor, is Jesus an absolute monarch ruling by force and fear and always pushing to expand his realm, no matter the cost to his subjects. Jesus is a King who rules through complete and absolute acceptance of his Father's will. Jesus brings the reign of God and returns our world not to a bygone era of haves and have nots but a world turned right side up.
- Fr. Basil has our 3 weekend Masses.
- St. Joseph School is very grateful to all who helped with the Endowment Trust Gala. We were very honored that six of our St. Joseph Prep alumni returned and sang a school hymn.
- The School will be closed for Thanksgiving break Wednesday through Friday.
- Refugees and resettlement are in the news obviously. Our parish has been blessed with immigrants and refugees since our first days in 1890 to the present. Yes, there is a risk in welcoming the stranger. After all, they are unknown to us. Recall though that all but one of the most recent criminals terrorizing the innocent were not refugees. They were born and raised Belgians and French. So, should we close off access to anyone born in France, or attempt to establish religious exclusions specifically prohibited by our Constitution? Public safety is a challenge and prudent measures are necessary. Blaming an entire people for the criminal acts of a sociopath is simply playing to the cheap seats for political advantage.
- With Thanksgiving here we are grateful for the blessings we enjoy and conscious of the sacrifices of men and women in uniform who keep us safe.
- Don’t forget about the Parish Family Thanksgiving Dinner this Sunday. Parishioners are asked to bring a dessert.
- The Church Office will close Wednesday at noon, and reopen on Monday at 8:30 am.
- Catholic Charities will be closed Thursday and Friday of next week
- Infant Supply Closet will be closed all next week
- Thanksgiving Day Mass will be at 9am on Thursday
- We extend our condolences to the Skulich Family on the death of John’s sister Sara, to the Chavez Family on the death of Maria Estrada’s father Francisco Chavez, and to the family of Dr. Jim Crotty on the death of his father in law Bob Jobe. May their souls rest in peace. Amen.
May God bless all you love (and all you should).
St. Joseph Church and School