August 26, 2016
Dear St. Joseph Parishioners,
- “Rather when you have a banquet, invite the poor, the lame and the blind.” Jesus the teacher has a keen observer’s eye of human behavior. He uses humor to help us recognize ourselves, even when it stings. The point is to see the gathering together—meal, celebration, banquet—as what we give more than what we get. We scramble for advantage, pushing and pulling, some more polite and others more pointed. The loving Father sees through our self-interest to something deeper and more profound. It's why Pope Francis focuses us on the periphery and the poor and forgotten. He sees with Jesus’ eyes.
- Father George Knab will be with us for all our Masses this weekend, peaking on behalf of Unbound (formerly known as CFCA). This remarkable group of people with deep roots in Kansas City USA “sponsors” men and women in need in countries across the world. Some are children, others are adults. All are real people whose lives are improved with food, shelter and education. I've seen it first hand. For years I've sponsored a young man near Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala (where our diocesan mission was). In the early 2000s, I met him and his family. Seriously, on a trip to Guatemala and Lake Atitlan CFCA made it happen by bringing Victor and His Mom to the neighboring village of San Lucas. Other friends of mine have met a sponsored child in Kenya.
- Our Masses of course are Saturday at 5pm and Sunday at 9:30am English and 12noon in Spanish.
- Parishioner Deacon Jim Pierret, husband of Joan, has died. Arrangements are being finalized so that all the sons and as many of the grandchildren as possible can be at the Mass. The family was here in Muskogee for the 4th and we had a 60th Anniversary Mass to celebrate their marriage. We’ll update our parishioners as soon as possible. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace.
- St Joseph School continues to enroll students at all faiths. We welcomed several last week and would love to have your son or daughter—or neighbor’s child join us. Contact Sandy at 918-683-1291 or email@example.com for more information.
- Registration continues for Religious Education classes which start after Labor Day. Please see Liliana, Patty or Alfredo for more information. As in previous years, we offer four classes for First Communion preparation: in English and in Spanish on Sundays between our Masses; Wednesday evenings in Spanish before the 7pm Mass and through St Joseph School. Confirmation preparation is offered in two options: Wednesday evenings in English and Sunday afternoons in Spanish.
- Inquiry Classes begin Tuesday, September 13 with a Welcome Tour of our Church. These evenings are informative and informal, perfectly suited for men and women interested in learning more about the Catholic faith.
High school football streets across the state tonight. We wish all our parishioners at al of our schools (Muskogee, Ft Gibson, Hilldale, Checotah, Haskell and Bishop Kelley—I am doing this from memory which may be faulty but I think Okay and Oktaha play other fall sports) the very best experience whether as athletes, band or fans.
May God bless you and all you love (and all you should)
St. Joseph Church and School